Tuesday 28 January 2014

Steam punk canvas

This piece I have been working on for a while...........

Step 1:  I painted the canvas then using stencils & modelling paste I placed various cogs around. Still working on how you colour paste, this was supposed to be purple, think I need inks rather than adding paint.

Step 2:  Was to create & glue or modelling paste down the items where I wanted them.  This was the pic of the basic layout.  The man I cut from tin & put holes in it to look like the old micano sets kids built with. When I put it down I created a butterfly then cut open metal decorative circles I had to make the flowers with.  I threaded 3 beads on wire to make the center of them.  Following is a series of pictures as I took as I coloured the canvas.  Finally figured out you need to heat set as you go to get the vibrant colours I was after.

 This was just after my first spray & it dried very flat looking.



Finally I added a pile more colour to reach this stage & put perfect pearls over the man to lift them out a bit.

Decided to repaint the edges & bring it in a little creating a shadow around the man.  Also use sharpies, brush felts & paint to highlight a few bits.  Actually that was fun got a wooden skewer out for the circles was the perfect size.

 Thanks to Creative Jumpstart 2014  (www.nathaliesstudio.com  for this technique.  

Am I finished?  I think so but won't seal it for a while just in case.  I also need to find a good spray sealer rather than
hairspray which I'm told can yellow over time.

Update: 22 March, I have sealed this piece with the proper sealer some weeks ago, today it sold & went to its new home.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment